Monday, August 4, 2008

Stargate - Continuum (2008)

An elite military unit (SG-1) must flee back to Earth when two members of their team inexplicably disappear into thin air. But they return to a world in which the Stargate -- an Ancient device which allows them to travel to hundreds of planets -- was never discovered, and their own history has been erased. Now they must convince a dubious government and military that the timeline was altered by a powerful Alien enemy (Ba'al) in order to conquer Earth, and time is not on their side.
Several weeks ago, I was invited to a Special Viewing of Stargate SG-1 Continuum. I was, obviously, very excited and shocked that I was chosen to see the movie before it came out... Plus, with all the reviews stating that this would be a typical SG1 episode (With Rick), I couldn't wait! (What can I say, I'm a HUGE RDA fan!)...

The beginning of the movie was perfect. To see the "Old Gang" together, again, made the opening that much more enjoyable! Plus, RDA was great with the character moments, and just him being himself! Trust me when I tell you that you will not be disappointed in the beginning...!
After the beginning of the movie, it seems that the writers had to "cheat" to allow the main characters to keep their memory of the altered time-line! The other problem with the movie is that it seemed to be rushed to a certain degree!
I will admit that is was extremely nice to see so many old faces, but the problem was that there wasn't enough time to spend "quality" time with all of them, and the fact of the matter is that the writers had to keep the story moving!! I will admit that they did, thankfully, have a few more character moments between the cast than in SG-1's "Ark Of Truth", but it still wasn't enough in my opinion.
Please do not get the idea that this movie was bad... In fact, I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys the Stargate show, but at the end of the movie, you will feel like something was missing, and you'll want more, but you'll have to wait for another Stargate movie to be made!! (BTW, don't forget to look at Col. Mitchell's locker... Something will have changed; can you see what it is?) What was it Jack O'Neil said, "Even us humans know time travel is nothing but trouble...!"
In any case, I would still recommend this movie to any Stargate SG-1 fan, but in my opinion, I believe that "Ark of Truth" was a better movie, though not by much! However, I will be purchasing this movie, and hope you all do the same! Besides, if we all purchase this movie, then MGM may make more SG1 movies! (Or, perhaps they'll bring it back to T.V) By Ak Consulting

No comments: